Some brief thoughts on the gun debate
My opinions on this subject are likely to be rather unpopular, even among some gun control advocates. I also don’t have a tremendous amount of time for blogging today, so I’m going to bullet point it (yes, I realize the slight irony of calling them bullet points). Feel free to discuss as long as you keep it civil.
- First, and let’s be clear, it’s the guns that are the problem. The main reason that so many people die in this country by gunshot is that there are so many guns available for people to be shot with. Less guns would equal less gun deaths, if for no other reason than the rate of suicide by guns would fall.
- This is not to say that murders wouldn’t still happen. The old saying that “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” has a small amount of wisdom in it. But look at it this way, how would it be easier for someone to kill you? By beating you or coming at you with a knife, or by concealing a pistol and shooting you with it?
- The gun control measures most advocates for gun control seem to be in favor of are mostly stupid. Assault weapons bans are meaningless. First because there are more than enough of such weapons to go around already, so allowing previously made rifles to stay legal defeats the purpose. And second, the most dangerous guns in this country by far are hand guns. It’s not even close.
- Stop involving the mental health community in this debate. The vast majority of gun crimes are not due to some mental health system failing. Shootings like the one in Newtown, CT are exceedingly rare – to the point of being outliers. They just don’t happen that often when you take into account the fact that we’re a nation of over 300 million people.
- The 2nd Amendment isn’t going anywhere, which is a shame because the 2nd Amendment is ridiculous. Even so, don’t believe everything the NRA tells you about your right to own a gun. That gun laws even exist in the first place and have not all been struck down as unconstitutional demonstrates that your right to a gun can absolutely be limited.
There, those are some thoughts. Have at…