Skip to content

Can we all PLEASE stop listening to Dr. Phil now?

February 25, 2012

Ok, so I’m a little late to this perhaps; but here’s a video of a father shooting his daughter’s laptop. It’s awesome, and you should watch it – the whole thing.

Now, while this may seem at first like some goofy hick who went out and used a gun to prove a point, I can assure you that the more you read about it the more you’ll be convinced that Mr. Tommy Jordan (the father) did absolutely the right thing.

Dr. Phil, on the other hand, will disagree with you. And he tries to make his point on national television (capitalizing, as he’s apt to do, on a media story to promote his own show) by sitting down with Matt Lauer. You can watch that video (which I encourage you to do) and read the father’s very reasoned and well written response to it here (I mean it, read that blog post).

This is not some dope with a gun and a video camera. If you read the entire post you’ll find he’s an intelligent man with a level head and a real sense of what it means to raise your kids well in the world in which we live. This is FAR more than I can say for Dr. Phil, who is, in my humble opinion, a media whore of the worst kind. He’s a man who pretends to help people in order to make himself money.

And frankly, Dr. Phil is not even a very good psychologist. He’s just flat out wrong about most of what he says. So, that said, thanks to Mr. Tommy Jordan for doing the best job of illustrating this that I’ve yet seen – and also for being a consistent and thoughtful dad.

Enhanced by Zemanta
7 Comments leave one →
  1. Matt permalink
    February 25, 2012 5:45 pm

You don’t think putting a bullet through a laptop is a little over the top? I’m in complete agreement about Phil being an ass hole and an idiot, but I can’t see putting a bullet through a laptop, and then posting it online is ever the smart thing to do.

• February 25, 2012 6:39 pm

It may seem a little over the top for you or I, but we’re not him and his family. The story goes that the last time they had concerns over inappropriate facebook posts from the daughter he said if there was a problem again he would “put a bullet through” the laptop. He’s being consistent and following through with what he said he’d do. The children aren’t in any danger, and all in all seem to be doing very well. I have no problem with this.

• Matt permalink
        February 25, 2012 7:44 pm

What if he had said “Next time you do that, I’ll knock some sense into you.” The guy is an IT worker, her surely knows how to block her facebook, hell, even take the laptop away; but this seems childish to me.

• February 25, 2012 11:31 pm

But he didn’t say that, and there’s no indication that he ever has or will. I just don’t see the issue here.

2. Matt permalink
    February 26, 2012 1:21 am

I guess my poorly illustrated point was that follow through doesn’t mean much to me in this situation. I don’t think that this kid is in danger of being hit or having a gun pulled on her; I just think what the guy did was childish, silly, and dangerous. Dangerous not necessarily because of what it says about his parenting, but dangerous in that he was firing a hand gun within eye shot of traffic. I do think the guy is a moron with a gun, but I would think the same about anyone who posted a video of themselves shooting a gadget with hollow point –seriously?! hollow point?!– bullets and uploading it to YouTube.

Couldn’t reply to your last comment, so I responded to the article again.

I will ad that as a guy with no kid’s, I could be way out of my element, but I am basing my judgement on “guy shooting laptop,” not “parent punishing child by shooting laptop.”

3. February 26, 2012 1:30 am

I only allow nested comments to go 4 deep because of space. At some point I’ll look into overhauling the entire comment system, but not now.

That said, I understand your point a little better now. The act of shooting a gun into a gadget is certainly not “normal” behavior. In fact, it’s pretty strange. I don’t really see it as all that dangerous though considering the manner in which he went about it. I guess I’m more concerned with the reaction Dr. Phil (and others) are having that this man is just an idiot with a gun and nothing more. That’s very obviously not the case.

4. May 31, 2014 4:22 am

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Appreciate it!

Let me know what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 676 other followers